As TikTok takes off as the fastest-growing social media platform, TikTok influencer marketing opportunities are sprouting up left and right. We’ve detailed the most important factors to consider in order to equip your brand with the knowledge to either jumpstart or optimize your TikTok marketing efforts.
TikTok influencer marketing : What is TikTok?
TikTok, or Douyin as it is called in its native Chinese market.
It is a video sharing app where users can create and distribute short videos (15-50 seconds) of music, dance, lip sync, filters, and comical contributions.
HOW POPULAR IS IT?
It has surged in popularity since its launch in 2016. When parent company, ByteDance, purchased Musical.ly and merged the two, it gave TikTok direct access to the Gen Z market.
Today, this App is the fastest growing social media platform in the world.
It has more than 800 million active users in 155 countries. TikTok was the most downloaded iPhone app in 2019, and this escalating trend shows no signs of slowing down in 2020. Also Read:
TikTok Influencer Marketing : Who Uses TikTok Today?
Most active users of this app are between 16 and 24 years old.
They are belong to Generation Z – people that have grown up with the Internet and take digital communication for granted.
These people are generally quick to latch on to new trends in social media – which fits TikTok, as most of the activities within the app concerns achieving viral content spread.
The app also has an age limit of 13 years old, but this is of course hard to verify.
Data from Ape App shows that in contrast to Instagram, where most users are female (65% vs. 35%), more than half of TikTok’s users are men (56% vs. 44%).
Geographically speaking, India, the US and Turkey have the most TikTok users – unless you count China, where the Douyin version is used.
A rabbit hole of discoverability:
Do you wonder what makes TikTok tick? Why trends spread faster on this app than any other video content on social media? The answer lies in one key differentiator: the user experience.
The app is video-only content, which keeps the user focused on the endless scroll.
If you want to take discovery a step further, TikTok has a dedicated Discovery page with all the trending hashtags and branded content popular that week. Even further, you can easily check if your favorite TikTok influencers are trending under any popular audio. This level of discovery and engagement make TikTok influencers powerful.
TikTok Influencer Marketing : Following
The nature of the app makes users feel like they’re always missing something. To avoid missing that “something” you follow everyone and what we’re left with are TikTokers averaging a few hundred thousand new followers every week.
When you see an Instagram influencer, for example, with a steady 100k followers and a few thousand likes on each post you think they’re pretty established. But that’s the lower end for the average TikToker.
It’s more typical to see popular creators with followers in the millions, growing rapidly, with tens, if not hundreds of thousands of likes on posts.
Popular creators on this app can reach and engage millions in minutes. And not just their followers, anyone.
How to Find TikTok influencers for TikTok Influencer Marketing :
To better prepare your brand for a successful TikTok influencer marketing campaign:
- Know Your Target Audience – First, determine if your target audience is on TikTok and if so, understand which influencers would best resonate with them. Don’t assume TikTok creators with the most followers are going to be the most impactful. Carefully research which influencers will generate the most meaningful engagement and whether they’ll influence buying decisions if applicable.
- Perform An Organic Google Search – Sometimes, doing a targeted Google search can yield helpful results. Start by searching “top TikTok creators” to identify some of the more popular TikTok influencers, then modify your search to identify particular niches. For example, if you’re a fitness clothing brand, typing in “fitness TikTok creators” would be a logical starting place. That said, know that TikTok is still in its infancy and lists of top creators are constantly changing.
- Search Relevant, Trending Hashtags On TikTok’s Discover Page – One thing to note about this App is that the desktop experience offers little navigational control. Users looking to search specific hashtags, user handles, and keywords are better off using the mobile app. From there, go to the Discover page and enter your search terms within the top search bar. Brands can identify top trending videos from the “Top,” “Users,” “Videos,” “Sounds,” and “Hashtags” tabs. Tow more:
- Identify Existing Influencer Sponsored Content On TikTok – Similar to using the Discover page search functionalities, you can search for video content that’s tagged with #ad to identify sponsored content on the platform. This technique enables brands to quickly locate existing influencer content to decide if those influencers would be worth reaching out to about collaboration opportunities.
6 Essentials for driving positive ROI and engagement with TikTok Influencer marketing
The content produced by TikTok creators should drive actionable results with their audience. For example: liking, commenting, re-sharing in response to influencer sponsored content.
The following content performs exceptionally well:
- Original – Highly creative, imaginative video content that captivates viewers in novel ways.
- Trendsetting – Content that accentuates a current cultural trend or creates an altogether new trend on the video app.
- Challenges – Tagged content that’s easily searchable, trendy, inclusive, recognizable, and entices viewers to participate.
- Audio & Visual Effects – Catchy tunes and striking design elements that help boost memorability of video productions.
- Hashtags – Clever use of hashtags to engage more users, spark hashtag trends, and increase discoverability of tagged content.
- Duets – Video format in which users can display a split-screen next to another user of their choice, spurring higher levels of engagement.
By using these tips you can definitely increase your social media ROI and TikTok engagement.
Are you a TikTok “culture fit”?
TikTok’s fast-paced culture may make memes fleeting, but it also makes influence attainable.
Without studio equipment or highly produced content, people all over the world are creating and defining influential content. And TikTok is right there, delivering an audience to latch on to all of it.
No matter what industry you serve or what genre of content you create, it’s not your job to “fit in” on TikTok. It’s your job to stand out.
There’s a lot to say about TikTok, but we hope we’ve been able to provide you with a good overview. It’s going to be incredibly exciting to see how the platform evolves during the year ahead, and particularly to see if it will attract more people among older audiences.